Before we can learn how to be a blogger it is important to define a couple of terms. These definitions are sourced from here:
What is a Blogger?
- a person who regularly writes material for a blog.
“food bloggers post a recipe on a particular theme
Therefore, a blogger is a specific type of writer.
What is a Blog?
- a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.
- add new material to or regularly update a blog. “it’s about a week since I last blogged”
A blog is essentially an article on a specific subject or topic. It is recommended to be approximately 1000 to 2000 words in length. The key difference between writing for a blog and other writing styles or purposes is that it is regularly updated or is the creation of regular content. This content is normally focused on a specific topic often called a niche. This term is defined below:
What is a niche?
- denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.
“other companies in this space had to adapt to being niche players”
For example, a niche for a blog may be a food blogger or fashion blogger or sailing blogger or business coaching blogger. However, now that blogging has been around for over a decade it is becoming more important to have a very specific niche. For example, rather than the broad topics of food, fashion, sailing or business it may be:
- low carb foods or cooking styles
- fashion for new mothers
- sailing a specific boat or type of boat or
- business coach for stay at home parents creating an online business
Learn How to be a Blogger
With the definitions out of the way, we can now talk about how to learn to be a blogger. The following descriptions relate to my free 5 Essential steps to online or blogging success described here and below:
- Define your passion. Many people choose a passion to write about because they feel they can write a lot about passion regularly. For example, my passions are business, property, music, essential oils and sailing.
Therefore it all begins with You. Your mindset and the passion or niche you choose to blog about. Not everyone chooses a passion, I do because I feel confident I can write 3 times a week about my number 1 passion; this is mentoring in business, specifically online business because this is where my own business story began.
- Define your niche and Get educated, make sure you learn from a successful blogger and one that is an expert in your niche. If you’re having trouble defining your niche then get help from a blogging expert. Don’t worry about feeling like you’ll be competing with them, there is enough business for everyone and you will develop your own unique voice and style because you are unique which will mean you will attract your own tribe of people that resonate with you.
My mentor is the co-founder of an online business community of over 1 Million bloggers. I share my Super Affiliate Challenge Training journey here.
- Make sure you have a blog (essentially a website) that you can publish your blogs too. Plus see if you can get access to a website for free initially while you get started.
If you’re wanting to get started today read our post How to Create a Free Business Website Fast
- Take regular, consistent action. In other words, blog regularly. This is one of the best keys to success and one that although is simple can quickly become a challenge if you aren’t disciplined in your writing habits.
This is a big reason why we have our Monday Motivation post that is updated every week, you guessed it, on Mondays.
- Surround yourself with like-minded bloggers that are on a similar path to you to help you to stay motivated, focused and a source of help and support when you get stuck. This was exactly what I was seeking when I decided to learn more about blogging myself and I feel I have developed and come a long way in this area after being a member of a great online community. Here I talk about why to join an online community.
Essentially this post is a summary of Learning how to be a blogger but in fact, this whole website is devoted to helping you to learn on how to be a blogger – win/win!
If you’re wanting to get started following step by step instructions today begin with my free 5 Essential steps to online (blogging) success here. They are:
- It begins with You
- Uncovering Your Passion to turn into Your Purpose
- What to Do to Succeed
- What You Do Not Do to Succeed
- The Right Environment to Succeed
To receive this content in your inbox over a couple of weeks sign up for our Passion to Purpose Tribe messages via our pop-up or email me at fleur @ fleurallen.com
I invite you to share your blogging education experiences in the comments below: